Monday, March 17, 2008

Inexpensive Sires

I'm going to be using a pretty simple formula for my Tier F picks. I'm looking for inexpensive sires who were in the top 100-150 sires of at least two of the past three years. Then selecting their offspring by stakes winning mares. I realize that there are at least three problems with this approach:
1. Most of the cheap sires who made the top 100 are in states with generous state-bred races, which inflates their apparent success as sires.
2. Most of the stakes winning mares they're bred to actually only won restricted stakes.
3. The apparent 'consistency' exhibited by these sires over 2 or 3 years may be an illusion that's a result of the fact that the same offspring are still running for several years.

Moving on to my first Tier F pick - Leopard Strike, a colt by Tactical Cat out of Noble Strike. At least his grandsires (Storm Cat and Smart Strike) aren't bad!

Also going to mention another rules clarification here - if a selected horse turns out to have died prior to being picked, an alternative pick will be allowed. I've already had three near misses with this as I researched the 2006 foals of Personal Ensign, Inside Information, and My Flag.

No comments: